Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The New Tests

There are some new tests that are being put through studies with Med-El to determine reliability, and all of that fancy stuff they need to do before releasing for use across the country. A couple of you asked what they are like and here is your answer. They are challenging...very challenging compared the the CUNY or HINT.

The first test (easiest) is two different people talking in quiet. You never know which person is going to talk but at least it is quiet.

The second test (middle) is two different people talking in noise. The noise on this test is not just the static white noise that we are used to. The background noise is other people talking. It is kind of like being in a fairly loud restaurant trying to follow two different people.

The third test (hardest) is four different people talking in noise just like I described above. This test is challenging.

All of the tests involve both males and females and no two tests are the same. However I will say that it is not the voices that trip me up as much as what they are saying.

In the HINT (the current hardest test) you might bet something like "the mother baked a cake." Not very difficult to interpret out of context like we do in a sound booth. The new test....the sentences are like this (this is one from the first test that I never forget) "He was an ordinary man who did extraordinary things." All of the sentences are like that and some are more difficult and longer than this one. I think the sentence structure and vocabulary make these tests more difficult.

Anyways...to answer the question about my current audiogram. Both ears are hovering at 20 decibels right now. They were a little higher in places...but this past visit I had the audiologist turn me down. I had too much power going through my head. It was funny that I actually told an audiologist to turn me down because I have always fought with audiologists to get more power than they would give me.

Anyways...I am off to class.

3 comments:

sara said...

These sound kind of what it included in the Cochlear Sound and Way Beyond software. The sentences often throw me off by how weird they are. It also includes multiple speakers and different types of noise.

deafdude said...

Thanks for explaining. When someone talks, does that person talk louder than the background noise/voices? Do only one person talk at a time?

If more than one person talks, how do you know which person to follow to listen? Even hearing people tell me and others to be quiet when they are having a converstation and to wait their turn.

Most hearing people can't properly hear others in a noisy environment. I have to shout directly in their ear for them to hear me. I have no problem understanding others due to being great at reading lips. Hearing people should learn to read lips for situations where they can't hear and when they get older and lose some hearing(presbycusis)

How long did your residual hearing last and when did you realise it was gone?

20db with CI is impressive, what problems do you experience with better than 20db? Im still learning why some people are able to get to 20db like you and others can't get better than 50db!

Megan Pender said...

Lauren,

I would like to get in touch with you as I working with D/HH kids in NC and currently, have my kids SKYPE with other D/HH kids in NC. We just started doing it this year and hoping to present it at the EC Conference in Greensboro in November 2012. I am also considering getting an implant put in my right ear after a recent scare of losing more hearing in my only good ear (left one)...I have a severe-to-profound mixed hearing losses. Please contact me...