Thursday, July 23, 2009

Three month update--Eight month update

Okay so I went to Chapel Hill last week. Everything was fabulous. Of course I had a minor panic attack on the way there. As I was driving the long miserable drive I noticed that my right cochlear implant was cutting in and out. I started to panic. Well as I got closer to the hospital...it completely cut out. I was freaking out at this point. I got to the ENT office and checked in, then it was time to try to figure out what was happening. I started by switching out the cable connecting the coil and the processor, and voila....no more problems. I knew the cable would go bad and need to be replaced at some point but I did not know what would happen when it did need to be replaced. Well now I do and it was not fun!

When I got back to audiology with Marcia I had her check my residual hearing in both ears to see how it was doing. I still have all of my residual hearing in my right ear, which I am pleased with. My left ear is gone, I knew it was but it was nice to have this confirmation. The loss of residual in my left ear is probably due to the multiple insertions that took place when trying to get the electrode in that did not want to go in. My residual hearing is not important to me, rather I have found it interesting that it has stuck around this long.

Marcia put me in the booth for testing. She of course had to administer the more difficult tests that are being used as a part of the research where I get to be a guinea pig. Whoo! Anyways...remarkable improvement since the first time I took these tests.

The first time testing...May ----and now

Easiest of the three tests...68% (may).....now 96%

Middle of the tests...40s (May)....now upper 80s.

Hardest of the tests....60s (May)....now 92%

I was not expecting this type of gain for the tests...but I am pleased that I am continuing to make progress daily. The implants do sound better with each day, surprisingly. The brain is remarkable.

I will be traveling to UNC for some research (I get paid) regarding to the new tests they are trying to develop in the clinic.

But for now I don't have to go back until November unless they tell me otherwise.

Hope all the others that read this are doing well with their new ears!

Lauren

3 comments:

sara said...

Very cool! What are the newer tests like?

deafdude said...

I second this, I wonder what the new tests are like. Are they similar to the CNC speech test?

What's your latest CIs audiograms? You mentioned improvement so this also means you have better thresholds as well?

How long did your residual hearing in one ear last before it was gone and when did you realise it was gone?

I am saving both of my ears for stem cells. I hear pretty well with my HAs for now. We talked about it and I do believe ill get it by 2020, more info on my blog.

Jhon Lee said...

Nice Website. You should think more about RSS Feeds as a traffic source. They bring me a nice bit of traffic
tms therapy for anxiety