Tuesday, April 14, 2009

ACTIVATION DAY for CI #2

Well yesterday was my activation for my bilateral CI. I knew it would be interesting as the electrode positioning was not the same as the first CI due to the ossification in my ear. However...it was dramtically different.

When the first CI was activated everything sounded like Darth Vader as I have much deeper stimulation in that ear. This CI sounded like the three chipmunks singing on helium. In other words it was atrocious. When she first turned it on...I heard the sound, looked at the audiologist and said "turn it off." We turned it off and made some adjustments. After we got everything adjusted and some more power in my lower frequencies and less in the high frequencies we turned it back on to live mode. This time it was better but everything was still high pitched. Although this time I started hearing the bells that most people with other implant companies talk about but this is not something I had experienced with my first CI. At the end of every word I would hear this little high pitched bell ring. I found it rather annoying.

Anyways...we got both CIs up and running together...everything sounded really weird, but I was able to understand speech without lipreading which was promising.

Today was my first full day using both CIs and the sound became better as the day went on. The bell sound is still there but I am not noticing it now like I did yesterday. I am ready to adjust my old ear though...I want some more power in the low frequencies to see if that will help balance out the highs on the new ear.

Overall...all is well. I love both of the CIs and it is amazing how much more I can already hear with the two CIs as opposed to the one CI and even the one CI and HA that I was using sometimes.

Now I am off of here for the night....it is time for the new ear therapy and then therapy with both ears. I go back to the audiologist on the 27th for my first official bilateral mapping.

More later!!

No comments: