Thursday, April 16, 2009

The First Couple of Days with 2 CIs

Well the first few days of both CIs have been very interesting. Things have dramatically improved. The bells that I was hearing the first day are gone. I am not hearing those anymore, which I love. I do still occasionally hear a bell if something drops or anything like that. The "voices" in my head have started to merge into one central voice. By voices...I am talking about how my ears sound. One ear sounds like Darth Vader. The other ear sounds like chipmunks. They have started merging together in my brain...I am now for the most part only hearing one voice.

Things are a lot easier to hear. I am able to hear conversation entirely without speechreading at all. This is a huge benefit, and I love it. I was able to talk on the phone with my new ear. I was talking to mom, so it was a familiar voice but I was not expecting to be able to do this. I am doing well with the new ear...I have been doing some therapy. I am able to use the new ear alone and understand about 95% of conversation without speechreading right now. I am hoping this will continue to improve as time goes on....I know it will.

But for now I am extremely satisfied with both implants...I do not regret having the second ear implanted by any means, even though they were not able to achieve deep insertion with the electrode. It has drastically changed what I can hear. I am actually looking forward to my first graduate class since the second implant to see how things are different in class....I am not looking forward to class on other terms because I have yet to complete all of the work from when I was out for surgery...that will be my weekend.

No comments: