Monday, April 27, 2009

First Official Bilateral Mapping

Today has been a long day, but well worth it in the end. Today was my first mapping since I went bilateral three weeks ago. The results were awesome and unexpected...especially by me.

I have been activated for two weeks today with the new ear. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

On the tests (new ear only)....
Hint in Quiet 96%
Hint in Noise with SNR of 10dB 97%

They did not do the CNC test on the new ear. However they did do a new test with both implants. I am one person involved in the initial use of the new assessment. It was very interesting and much more difficult than the HINT or the CNC. I did well on that assessment as well. We did not go into great depths with that assessment today, just one list from each category.

I am just glad that I don't have to drive back to Chapel Hill until July....YAY!!! I have been up and down the road a lot lately, it is tiring.

Also best wishes to Sara as she has her first CI surgery this Wednesday!!

This is an answer to some of my visitors' questions. First of all THANK YOU for all of your well wishes and excitement for me. To answer one of your questions about things I am hearing now. I am hearing the same things I heard before, only better and clearer. There is one thing though that I did not hear until I received the new implant. I heard crickets for the first time. They were amazing. I just stood out onthe back porch and listened to them.

Have a GREAT week!!

1 comment:

deafdude said...

I wish Sara luck and would be curious to see how much residual hearing she keeps, that is very important since she's going hybrid or will alternate between CI and HA since she has way better/more residual hearing than either of us.

Amazing your speech comphrension is near 100% That's what you found most important and you got that. My own goal is to get 10-15db aided with my HAs so I hear so many environmental sounds.